Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Appeal Information

An appeal is when someone who lost a case, or part of a case, asks a higher court to decide if the lower court made a legal mistake.

An appeal is not a new trial. In appeals, the parties cannot present new evidence or new witnesses. The appellate court only reviews the record from the lower court to decide if a legal mistake was made in the original trial.

In an appellate case, the arguments are about the law, not the facts of a case.

Helpful Links

Frequently Asked Questions

Only a person or entity that was a party in the trial court proceeding can appeal a decision in that proceeding. You may not appeal on behalf of a friend, a spouse, a child, or another relative unless you are a legally appointed representative for that person (such as a guardian or conservator).


Not generally. But appeals are very complicated, and take a lot of time, effort and money. You have to do all the paperwork correctly, meet the deadlines, and follow all the court's rules and procedures. If you make mistakes, your case may be dismissed and you may have to pay the appeal costs of the other side.

Also, a lawyer can help you decide if you can or should file an appeal. A lawyer might know how to get what you want faster and cheaper by using a different legal process. Many lawyers do not do appeals, so make sure you talk to a lawyer who specializes in appeals. A lawyer who has done some appeals and knows how to handle them will know what to do when, and can guide your case through the appeal process.

You can proceed with your appeal on your own, but given the particular nature of your case, you may want to consult with a lawyer.

For fees relating to civil appeals, please see the current fee schedule for Humboldt County Superior Court, which can be found here.

If you are low-income, you may be able to qualify for a fee waiver and not have to pay a filing fee. Fee Waiver forms and information can be found here.

Appeals of limited civil cases (civil cases in which the amount claimed is $25,000 or less), are heard in the appellate division of the superior court.

Appeals of unlimited civil cases (civil cases in which the amount claimed is over $25,000), are heard in one of the six California Courts of Appeal. You can find contact and other information for the Courts of Appeal at Courts of Appeal. The First District Court of Appeal is in San Francisco hears appeals in unlimited civil cases from Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Solano, and Sonoma Counties.

The Courts of Appeal handle appeals in unlimited civil cases (civil cases in which the amount claimed is over $25,000). Courts of Appeal also decide certain cases that do not get filed at the superior court and instead must be filed at the court of appeal, like petitions such as mandamus, prohibition and certiorari in unlimited civil cases.

There are six appellate districts, each with a Court of Appeal. You can get more information about the First District Court of Appeal, which hears appeals from Humboldt County, by visiting their website and self-help information at

Rules of court, statutes, case law and other materials thats may be useful to understanding the procedures for prosecuting or defending an appeal are available at the Humboldt County Law Library on the ground floor of the Eureka Courthouse, on the 4th Street side. The phone number for the Library is (707) 476-2356. Please note that the law librarians can only direct you to helpful books and other materials. They cannot answer legal questions or assist you in preparing your case.

Was this helpful?